Followers

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Promising practice makes perfect

Inspired by the national "It Gets Better" campaign, students at the URI Women's Center have produced their own domestic version.  Some of the students responsible and their faculty advisers led a screening and Q&A during the PP conference.

I thought the film was good, and I liked the honesty with which the audience responded.  The takeaway for me was made clear when several audience members became emotional during the followup panel.  If settled, self-aware adults were affected by the interview subjects' candor and magnanimity of spirit, then surely an insecure person or someone of emerging sexual identity can easily find solace, too.  

The keynote from members of Teen Empowerment provided me with a couple interesting ideas as far as group facilitation is concerned.  I liked the beanbag toss and the tool about "the wind blows when..."  

The student panel at day's end was nice, and it was nice to just hear from each participant.  I particularly liked the stories that Chris, Ilyana, and Jamal told.  

It was also nice (maybe the nicest) to see, learn with, and converse with members of class in different environs.  

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the student panel at the end as well. It is nice to hear about positive impact educators have made.

    ReplyDelete